Sunday, June 10, 2007

Payment is Always Well Received

The rest of the week finished up quite smoothly with a great transition into the normal weekend. There was perhaps one simple highlight to the weekend and I will explain in great detail.

I managed to get to the bank on Thursday after I went to the lab for a tiny bit. I cashed the $1000 check that we get for the research. It was partitioned into two sets, one for a bit that I will carry around on hand and then the other half for the part that will stay in the bank. On about Saturday morning, the money appeared in the bank account at around 9 in the morning. I went ahead and proceeded to ordering a Nintendo Wii from Ebay. I also went and gave a tour on this same morning.

The tour proceeded without a single hitch. I had to alternate part of the trip though to accommodate for the many graduations that took place in and around the Stuart C. Siegal Center. I wont say that I rushed through the tour but I did finish within the normal time that a tour is done, if not faster. It was extremely hot outside and I really wanted to get into the cold but I had to digress. I like giving the tours as they are a nice thing to do on the Saturday morning and give me something to do. I did have two embarrassing moments though, they both involved VCU buildings being closed (usually during the normal fall and spring semesters the buildings are open, but of course during the summer semester they are closed unfortunately
).

Ah after the tour I went to the Gamestop that is located right underneath the VCU Ramz Hall. In this Gamestop I went ahead and preordered Pokemon Battle Revolution for my future Wii. I also eyed a Pokemon Ultimate Pokedex for Diamond and Pearl, and I bought that too. And finally, I also looked at another game for the Wii, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. I might even get it, really.

Saturday night, I went with a friend, Jordan, and we went with a Kuwaiti friend to the Short Pump mall. This mall is unreasonable expensive looking. I of course didnt buy anything from the stores. On the way out of the mall I was a bit disappointed because I could have stopped off at the Foot Locker or the Finish Line and bought a new pair of shoes. I didnt spend any money there. I also ran into a few friends of Jordan, who are here as part of a missionary training group around Richmond. They all were from Texas, so it was amazing to hear things about Waco, Texas and such.

The final stop on Saturday night was at a WalMart. It was hear that I bought a new TV. I Was surprised at the price of the TV, it was directly what I aimed for ($250). The TV is HDTV built in so it automatically converts and receives the HD signal. It is 19inches (seems bigger for some reason) and also goes up to 1080i. When I got back to Gladding Residence Center at VCU, I failed to get the coaxial cord to connect the cable cable to the actual TV, so I could watch anything, well spare the basic channels.

Sunday I went to church and had a blast. I love Grace Bible Church for some reason. Its simple style is to die for, especially its teaching. The only thing that is not so hot is the music because they do not actually have a choir, but rather everything is a congregational type song. They are nice, but I miss the style of my home gospel choir. Some of the songs they sing at GBC are similar to the ones we sing at FBC and a few other churches in my area, but these are mainly old hymns that are hardly ever sung in an alternate way. Well for one into gospel songs, the hymns sometimes do get a revamp and such. This is becoming more common nowadays. After I got out of church I walked down from GRC to Lowe's. The walk took about 20 minutes but it was really worth it. The cable cord I got works and I managed to get a Philly Cheesesteak from Dominic's that is usually in front of every Lowe's.

The TV works great in the dorm. One of the benefits with having the Built in HDTV receiver is that it automatically detects all the analog and digital signals. So, I guess unknown to a large portion of students. We get over 150 channels for TV from VCU's cable provider. Regular tvs dont pick up the signal which is why it is such a big surprise to me and many of my other friends. Ah, that is mainly what happened today. Oh yeah, I did run into Maurice (my old roomate) on Thursday and I also ran into Haris who will be here for Summer classes. We went to TT Lounge for the slush and boba drinks and the korean kitchen place for food.

No comments: