Tuesday, June 12, 2007

High Definition

It seems that we are finally going to experience an actually real and true first week of the actual HHMI program. There is not any summit or anything of that sort that will keep the participants of the program out of their labs.

I am actually starting to stay in lab for longer periods of time. The methods and experimenting is a bit challenging as we have been writing and trying to devise a new protocol in order to isolate several particles in the cell that we want. This is of course called Cellular Differentiation in which you take a large flask of cells and then put them through the centrifuge in order to sort the substances in the cell by weight. The first is the heaviest things to come out and this is usually the nucleus. What the project and what we have been thus far in the lab is that we have been trying to isolate the plasma membrane and microsomes within the cell. I have done several things so far with this as well. I have performed right now, Four Bio rad tests, which basically looks at the protein content within the cells. All of this is just practice really for me. I have to learn these processes and techniques well enough to be able to do them on my own without any help. And to move on from this subject, I have been attempting to take notes thus far on that which has been done.

I am having a few second thoughts about my career and major. That is all that I am saying for now.

Ah that was really all that has been done and of course, HHMI presentations. Here is a list of them. Only half the group presented.


The Tympanic Membrane: Reconstruction of the Tympanic Membrane and Repair of Perforations “Allison D”

Treacher Collins Syndrome Research: Creating a Mouse Model to Study the Genetic Disorder “Heather Cross”

Do Glutamate Receptors Exist in the Rodent Immune System “Cathryn Kurkjian”

How Does HCT Decrease Cellular Aflatoxin Accumulations "Tristan Hayes" presentation is in my File Box on my facebook profile?

Collagen Self Assembly Mechanism “Mary Beth Bird”

Zebrafish CaMK-II Beta 2 “Ludmila Francescatto”

The Use of HDACi to inhibit Pathways involved with Endotoxic Shock “Sung Lee”

Metastatic Cancer Cells and the significance of Vimentin, ZBP-8 and Sumoylatin “Maimuna Bruce”

Sequence Homology Using Automated Pattern Discovery “Derek Austin”

Sedation Effects in Mechanically Ventilated Patients “Patrick Headley”

Modulation of PL Kinase activity By Drugs “Sam Aboagye”

Descriptions were omitted, full powerpoints are all going to be made available, I believe

No comments: